CanEMR Medical Solutions recommends that OSCAR McMaster™ be used as the base software. OSCAR McMaster has been implemented in large and small clinics across Canada with most users found in Ontario and BC. Some other countries are now using OSCAR McMaster. The user interface is available in English and French with additional languages being added.
OSCAR McMaster's development began in 2001 by the Department of Family Medicine at McMaster University. OSCAR McMaster is designed to produce a state of the art web-based EMR system to support a wide-range of clinical functions found in diverse environments.
Why We Recommend OSCAR McMaster
- OSCAR McMaster is a web-based solution with users accessing its functions via a standard web browser running under a PC, Mac, or UNIX platform. This means that users can use their favourite web-browser running on their existing favourite laptop or desktop machine to access OSCAR. Additional inexpensive machines can be added as required.
- Typically the OSCAR McMaster software runs on a single computer ("the web server") dedicated to the OSCAR functions. The purchase cost of this server runs in the $1,000 to $3,000 range. The users access this server via a wired or Wi-Fi wireless network. They can also connect to the server via the Internet. Network and Internet connections are protected by one of the most secure forms of encryption used by banks called "SSL" or "https" method.
- Clinic users experience consistent reliable access to the electronic records because the information is stored locally at the clinic. In addition the clinic still "owns" the records and they are stored locally like the paper record systems traditionally were. In addition, the clinic can now backup these valuable records automatically off-site daily to handle such emergencies as fire, smoke, and water damage at the clinic perhaps due to businesses surrounding it.
- The OSCAR McMaster software is freely available world-wide to allow local modification and support by various vendors. Contrast this to the propriety software provided by some medical record vendors. Use of their propriety solutions "locks" you into using only their software and often requires you to purchase new computers from them and to sign-up for a number of years of support as well.
- OSCAR McMaster users from coast-to-coast share their usage tips, best practices, and add-on forms to support current concerns such as H1N1 flu. This is done by a free email "list server" supported by the active OSCAR Users Group and available to all.
- OSCAR McMaster features are further listed here.
Benefits of Using CanEMR Medical Solutions
- While EMR systems are relatively new, we have been helping small to large organizations adapt practical technology for more than a decade. Some of our staff have been recommending and supporting web-based technology solutions since the beginning of the web -- several decades ago.
- Our staff together with our consultants have expertise in medical, Internet, and network installation areas. We can also tailor-make or extend existing software solutions by computer programming as needed.
- We are skilled in utility power, software, and hardware backup systems that are critical to your site.
- We can advise about alternate input techniques such as voice-to-text, the use of tablet (pen-based) computers, and magnetic stripe readers.
- We can help you evaluate OSCAR by installing a test system on a laptop or on some unused older laptop or desktop system.
- We understand and apply secure software and hardware techniques to protect your patient and clinic information.
- We can provide a single point of contact for your technology infrastructure to eliminate having to decide who to call when a problem arises. For Ottawa area installations we can also provide rapid emergency on-site support.